Monday, August 25, 2008

do I look Vietnamese?

...maybe if you look at me from an airplane, yeah. I was born in Puerto Rico some 25 years ago, and I don't have the hair, the eyes, nor the color, but a cute Vietnamese girl asked me if I was Vietnamese the other day. Needless to say, hilarity ensued as I looked up from signing the receipt to pay for the delicious cơm gà rôti plate I just had, and she had the chance to reflect on what she had just asked me. I was kinda stunned so I couldn't come up with anything smart/witty to say, but I'll be ready for next time, haha.

Speaking of Vietnamese, tomorrow I begin taking Vietnamese lessons. I'm kind of excited but nervous at the same time. I really want to learn the language. I figure I go to Vietnamese restaurants so much, I might as well. It really sucks meeting all these nice people at the different places I go to, and not being able to carry on (a lot of times) a decent conversation due to the language barrier. I'm somewhat nervous because I'm still intimidated by the different entonations of the vowels, and how two words can sound so similar but have different meanings. Like, at first I couldn't tell the difference between how cá (fish) and
gà (chicken) sounded. I hope it doesn't take me too long to figure it out and get used to it - we'll see how it goes.

So yep, I'm looking forward to the end of the semester already. At which point I should be able to say something witty to that cute girl at the restaurant. Like, I dunno, responding with a simple "yes"?
. Let's just hope I don't mispronounce it and end up calling her fat, or something.

No comments:

Post a Comment